Driving Tips & Road signs
IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS ...
While enjoying the beautiful sights on our island, please keep the following tips in mind.
- The use of safety belts is now mandatory by law in Curacao but its also for your own safety.
- Speed limit in built-up area is 40 Km/h.
Outside of town 60 Km/h., exept where otherwise posted.
- On T-junctions traffic on the dead-end road must give right of way to all traffic from left and right.
- Please reduce your speed in rainy weather, slow in case of wet road surface.
Wet roads can be extremely slippery
- Park in well-lit open areas as close to your destination as possible.
- Do not leave luggage, packages or any valuables visible when you leave your car. It is best to store them in the trunk or dashboard compartment.
- By dive sites when you leaving your vehicle leave your windows down and doors unlocked, Do not leave valuables in car.
- Curacao has many beautiful dive sites and beaches. Choose the most popular dive sites and beaches over the secluded ones. Ask at your dive shop or hotel for the location of beach or dive site which you can visit. Do not dive with a lot of cash money or credit card, try to arrange the dive costs one day before with your dive shop.
- Drive most carefully during day & night: this is for avoiding accident with the donkeys and goats on the road.
- For your own safety and to avoid accidents, please do not feed or photograph the wild donkeys near the road.
- Curacao has some bad roads. Be aware of large holes and be sure to reduce your speed.
- In case you are involved in an accident, do not move your vehicle and notify Curacao Roadservice at 199.
A rental vehicle is one of the best ways to enjoy our beautiful island of Curacao. Use these tips to ensure it is one of your memorable and pleasant trips.
Curacao Traffic Rules
Driving is on the right-hand side of the road. At intersections and traffic circles ield to traffic coming from your right unless signs indicate otherwise.
At all T-crossings through traffic has priority.
The speed limit is 45 km/hour in town and residential areas and 60-80 km/hour outside the city and on the four lanes Ring Road.